View Single Post
Old 03.06.2014, 06:42 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Yes, it's determined by that. But FFT is just a way of analysing a signal. The frequency resolution is how long (in time) that sample is - aka as block size. In other words, we agree on that.

What I don't agree with is that there's no single complete cycle within that array. Because there is. And if you were to loop just one of them, the result would be exactly like that in the picture that I posted. So it's possible to produce a 30.5Hz sine wave within the constraints of that time span. If it was to end half a cycle earlier, the frequency of the signal would be the same, there would be no audio click, just a little silence before it starts over. And absolutely no sample leakage.

The problem is that the samples collected for the FFT analysis are not synced to the frequency of the signal, it's dependant on the refresh rate you set for it and the number of samples it collects (block size again), so there's no perfect alignment between the two things - which need to be for producing accurate results instead of displaying waveforms cut at random points that will indeed be interpreted (calculated) as a different waveform altogether and hence show some other harmonics which should not be there. So if you were to fade in and out that array, discontinuity would not be a problem, no other waveform would be calculated instead of that present in the signal, but you'd need a fairly high refresh rate to compensate for the measurement of amplitude, presumably - not even pretending to be an expert here.

But why does this matter so much to you? Even with all this in mind, let's assume we're on the same page as of now - that I finally made some sense of your words - how do you explain why note duration would be such an important thing for supersaws?

P.S. on span I've just selected high resolution, didn't manually select block size.