Thread: Namm 2013
View Single Post
Old 20.11.2012, 09:00 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
There is also thunderbolt which seems to be gaining popularity. Looking through the latest sweetwater catalogue I see quite a few manufacturers adopting this connectivity for there gear.
Is "Thunderbolt" a propriatorial Apple product or is it being employed by PC's as well? I ask because a few months ago I had a professional custom-build powerful desktop/tower to use solely for audio and video intensive editing/production, having a few USB 3.0 and Firewire 400 as well as eSATA and is an AMD based system. Thunderbolt was not an option at the time for these pro geeks that built this for me.
Here's the scoop of poop with anything faster than USB 2.0 in-relation to say a couple hard drives with no less than 7200 rpm, 64 mb cache: The manufacturers of hard drives, external or internal, will ALL use the wording "transfer speeds UP TO 6 GBsec"....however the problem is that inherent faster/top transfer speeds are not utilized because USB 2 or even USB 3 devices do not actually transfer that fast and correct me if wrong, but Firewire 400 and USB 3 are comparable in speeds. When I use eSATA for an external third drive of same speed and cache soley for samples for like Izotope Iris's sample library, I actually get faster transfer with eSATA than even USB 3.
Sorry so long here but I guess I am asking why eSATA never really has been exploited expecially since eSATA goes right to motherboard and very fast memory for audio interfaces? I have read too, that USB 2 causes so many issues because USB 2 prefers to be propriatory in a direct connection and works great for audio but midi can be hit and miss. Lastly, I have found that whatever computer I may use, there's no problems as long as I use the EXACT SAME USB 2 port that I initially set-up audio interface with unless I want to go through reinstall procedures.