View Single Post
Old 24.04.2007, 11:04 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Hi -X-,

Regarding aliasing: I gather you've never heard a V-Synth FM aliasing? The TI is pure silk compared to that. I'm intrigued with the Nords if they don't alias.

I think if you've heard actual 1970 analog equipment, you're expecting a different sound. Much of vintage oscillators rounded the waveforms (reduced harmonics) at higher frequencies. A saw wave often had a slow reset which noticeably affected the waveform at high notes, the TI doesn't do this. So to some extent, you are hearing more harmonics in a TI wave than analog. This may seem unpleasant to you and has a similar tone to aliasing, although the TI is not a bright sounding instrument.

But even if you're not comparing the TI with analog, I hear alias-like sounds with my imperfect hearing even with acoustic instruments. I genuinely hear inharmonic artifacts in some frequencies. I think its possible for people to experience this and mistake it for aliasing - not everyone has golden ears but we sure all like to think we do

Aliasing should be verified by looking at the waveform rather than hearing it. And even if it is there, it doesn't detract from the wonderful sounds only a Virus can make.

Cheers,
B

Last edited by LivePsy : 24.04.2007 at 11:17 PM.