View Single Post
Old 17.02.2014, 07:01 PM
Veteran
Veteran

@berni

so you think only people who have clearly took to much acid are into the acid sound? that's not just some huge generalization, that's even stupid... just saying. there's a lot of genres you're more fond of that have an acid sub genre in there, or no?

and it's not just one note bass, it's being able to play it for 30k crowds with big PA systems and the thing sounding stellar. give it a try one day, you'll see it takes more then a load of acid or two

another thing. the simple sound of 808 or 909 may have been abused, yes. but take a look around, there's this samples after they've been on a SP 1200, an MPC 60 (for the grit of the Analogue to Digital convertion alone), all sorts of analogue equipment, plus, you really need to layer them with others, still being used in almost any genre I can think of in EDM.

303? it even makes it to pop music sometimes and it doesn't sound much like psytrance to me, it's just the classic rave sound of the toy that feels almost like a quote these days... yeah, house guys do it because they abuse coke then, no? and pop maybe a cocktail of LA chicks and more coke and weed? what do you like best I wonder?

303 is a classic, those xoxboxes sell very very well. it's used even on Berlin school kind of music, there's even euro rack modules that can give you that filter, that exact kind of sequencer with the accent and all of that, so it's not nearly gone, no, it's just changing colours, getting mixed with other unpredictable contexts, just like the original. and do yourself a favour and turn one on and give it a try connected to some cool sound system one day and let me know about it! that sound is that sound, no wonder it's made it big when even the developers thought it was just some toy, it was the sound, not the looks, or the interface, all based on the sound. same thing with the TR drum sounds, many people will stop scanning a pack of samples when they get near a 909 kind of snare "yeah, this one", just because it's cultural, you've based your taste on many genres around this kind of sounds.

what's boring is Roland's take on their own legacy, but don't piss on the legacy itself, let alone with some generalizations, kind of offensive really, about psytrance and associating it with drugs or brain damage. your taste is your taste, just don't think it's science and it will all be fine, ok?