View Single Post
Old 16.06.2016, 03:31 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Normally you would tend to use -10dBV setting with those jacks and cables, and instead use the Trim knob to calibrate the levels, unless you really needed the extra boost.

+4dBu would normally be louder than -10dBV. I can only assume the mixer socket senses for TS or TRS jacks and 'pads' (boosts) TS inputs accordingly (by ~12dB), giving you a similar output to +4, even though they may use different circuits. I'm only guessing here though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectral_19 View Post
As for me, I'd just like to use the best setting that won't hurt the Virus and with the best combination loudness and low noise
-10 with the unbalanced jacks/cables shown should be fine. But if money were no object, for 'best' results, TRS jacks with 3-core mic-cable with +4dBu setting for a fully balanced option will give you a pristine analogue signal from the TI2 with a lower noise floor. The reason? While the -10 setting has to boost an unbalanced signal by 12dB to obtain the same level as a +4 balanced signal, if needed, it also boosts the noise floor of that unbalanced signal by the same amount... Whereas a balanced signal is already at +4 and doesn't need boosting, therefore its noise floor is already technically 12dB lower than an unbalanced one. Additionally any external noise picked up along a balanced cable is cancelled out via its extra core, something that unbalanced connections cannot do.

The TI's (apart from the Snow) and TI2's are unique in that they have +4 balanced outputs available to you. This is actually quite rare amongst synths, most use unbalanced outputs. Given the option, given it's available, I would go for fully balanced operation.