View Single Post
Old 16.06.2016, 03:50 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
Normally you would tend to use -10dBV setting with those jacks and cables, unless you needed the extra boost.

+4dBu would normally be louder than -10dBV. I can only assume the mixer socket senses for TS or TRS jacks and 'pads' (boosts) TS inputs accordingly (by ~12dB), giving you a similar output to +4, even though they may use different circuits. I'm only guessing here though.

-10 with the unbalanced jacks/cables shown should be fine. But if money were no object, for 'best' results, TRS jacks with 3-core mic-cable with +4dBu setting for a fully balanced option will give you a pristine analogue signal from the TI2 with a lower noise floor. The reason? While the -10 setting has to boost an unbalanced signal by 12dB to obtain the same level as a +4 balanced signal, if needed, it also boosts the noise floor of that unbalanced signal by the same amount... Whereas a balanced signal is already at +4 and doesn't need boosting, therefore its noise floor is already technically 12dB lower than an unbalanced one. Additionally any external noise picked up along a balanced cable is cancelled out via its extra core, something that unbalanced connections cannot do.

The TI's (apart from the Snow) and TI2's are unique in that they have +4 balanced outputs available. This is actually quite rare. Most synths use unbalanced outputs.
Thanks for the reply !! My last question is: if I use the +4 setting on my mixer with TS cables, this shouldn't damage the TI2, right ?

BTW, looking at the footer of your post, do you expect a TI3 any time soon ?? Asking this because I just got this TI2 desktop