View Single Post
Old 21.05.2015, 05:23 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallward View Post
Sorry I've been REALLY busy lately with finals and once I was able to sit in the studio I was having some ground loop issues that took me a day or so to solve.

I'm beginning to understand the mixer a lot more now and I understand how to send different tracks to different outputs. So basically I create a MIDI track and send that data to an audio track that allows me to mix down individual parts? Problem is I don't have any options to input the MIDI data on an audio track. Or does the different parts have to bounce into an audio track ?

By the way, I'm loving Cubase so far.. I should have made the switch LONNNNG ago.
Glad you're liking Cubase. I think you're definitely better off with it if your primary interest is synths and moving toward hardware. FLS does some things really well, but is weird and non-standard in other ways.

I'm not quite sure what you mean "Problem is I don't have any options to input the MIDI data on an audio track". MIDI data and audio are two very different things. Coming from a soft synth background you might think of them as one in the same and therefore be expecting them to live in the same space in the DAW. Maybe I have an advantage because I'm old enough to remember when the MIDI standard was actually created (and was into hardware synths BEFORE then! . Learn to separate them in your mind and you'll be in better shape. Part of your perspective might be as is because of how FLS decided to separate patterns and arrangements from the mixer. In Cubase, the mixer is more like an actual hardware mixer than it is in FLS.

You are sending MIDI data to the Virus, but you're receiving the audio output into your Cubase track. Sorry if that's too basic and I mis-understood your question, but it helps in creating your templates to think of it like that, and it is not the same as the Virus plug-in behaves by default.