View Single Post
Old 27.01.2013, 02:03 AM
Pro
Pro

Ditto--everything Timo stated!

I also forsee the used analog synth market to see ALOT of (for instance) Andromeda's being sold on ebay soon to fund say DSI Prophet 12. Realistically, the economy is SLOWLY coming back, but those feeling that are those that really did not get hard mid-2007+.
DSI Prophet 12 total specs have not been released as of yet but Dave Smith himself proudly states they took the best elements of the Evolver/PolyEvolver and the Prophet 08 and newer technology realized in developing the Tempest with Roger Linn. So, there's speculation that it very-well may be a mega-hybrid with a heavy-leaning toward the Analog. Having been in-contact with DSI Customer Svc this Fall and Winter quite alot regarding the two MonoEvolverKeyboards and realizing elements of it. They are a small company that has awesome customer service and build quality. In case someone does not know this; when Sequential Circuits firstly went belly-up (with lessons learned by a small company about how to manage overhead--since), Dave and John Bowen went onto Yamaha for a very short time to develope but Yamaha was not willing to take the chances on the new technology/synthesis techniques but Korg DID--that's how Dave brought the world the Wavestation Series Keyboards and the two rack units SR and A/D. Pretty risky on Korg's part because at that point and time, Korg was just climbing out of the ashes of temporarily having Yamaha keep their own competitor from going bankrupt. Korg showed then their continual unabashingly willingness to innovate and take a chance with Dave Smith, incidentally, the father of MIDI.
DSI remains a very small company and would dare to say smaller than Waldorf and Access by far and a recent colloquiem at a University, Dave Smith stated he wished his company to stay exactly that--a small company bringing innovative and fun instruments for musicians.

That said, I can only deeply hope that NAMM 2013 has made namely Access and indeed Waldorf wake-up! You have a small company that has STILL been pretty much working out their garage workshop in Sweden, Elektron, and they are gaining momentum because of INNOVATION and taking chances. Their instruments are incredibly versatile and will humbly state I am not exactly a slow learner but in having one of their first incarnation Monomachines for the extensive external and internal midi sequencing and multiple synthesis techniques--I have put that on hold until mastering a few other things because it's the deepest thing encountered thus far. Elektron released weeks before Namm the Analog 4 that still will have zillions of features added as they continue developement and they are selling them as soon as new shipments go out to the major shops in the USA.

There's two examples of small companies willing to take chances and bring musicians new instruments. Korg indeed is very smart and lest I forget Arturia and their MiniBrute, of which Moog specifically made a new instrument in response to it at two times plus it's price. I hope Access is reading this because we are not simply "fanboys and girls", we like what has been produced but the silience is becoming deafening and there are many options out there now to augment our Virii set-ups, but they would be silly to think every Virus owner is going to continue to save all "expendable income" (a relative term, I know), waiting to drop onto whenever new product or new firewire interface for Ti to perhaps work great on--on a "whenever timeline". There's Additive Synthesis, et al, that software developers like Alchemy are doing very well with that there's no reason these types and even brand new types of synthesis and sampling, as Timo suggested--even resampling (as Elektron is doing) and again Elektron doing innovative hardware sequencers...yes, there's a HUGE market for it because the MPC is very much has-been and with technology advancing faster, so should expectations of instruments...OR...as the pendulum swings; back to real analog and analog/hybrids. I feel better after this therapy session and time is up and your copay is....HA!
Robert