View Single Post
Old 03.02.2013, 03:50 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Thanks. Didn't know that video! That's some keyboard playing to...Yeah, there's a bunch of synths that are very good that can be bought for a cheap price out there. I'd say the Karma (also from Korg) is one of those. A friend of mine has it, that thing would be worth it for the sequencer alone, and the phrases you can get out of it... Even to send notes for other synths... It's amazing. And coupled with external cards, there's one with the very same engine of the Prophecy, there's plenty of power and creative bliss on such a keyboard. I wonder if they've incorporated that technology in other of their products, as it makes the standard arp on most synths look like a sad joke...

From all these new products out there, I think I'd go (and probably will) for the Korg MS-20. I think the pure analogue sound would be a nice addiction to my palete of sounds, since I have the digital side of things pretty much covered between the two hardware units and the plug-ins I have, and the modulation options on that coupled with the lush sounding filter on that... I'm pretty much sold.

I think one of the things that does sound a lot better in real analogue, is like when you're modulating the filter with an Lfo and you turn up the rate to its limits, and it still sounds awsome, without the scratchy sound you get on almost anything digital doing that, for example. It produces such a luxurious sound just by doing that, it gives me chills... And the simple filter sweep with the resonance up into self oscilation has such a rich tone to it... So there's that, some high frequency stuff (that sounds a lot better to my ears in true analogue), and the really floor shaking bass sounds on those. Something about it, uh?
One thing that is especially something to be aware of with real analog of the like of new Korg Mini-MS20 is those "earth-shaking basses" and extremely wild filter freq/res sweeps you can get: Watch your volume levels or make sure you have great monitors that can handle it. Way back when I had the orig. MS20 I had really huge cerwin vega woofers after literally blowing-out a run of th mill but still supposedly made for extreme freq's of keyboards....cannot wait and my cat is verrrrrry afraid!!