View Single Post
Old 17.12.2008, 03:22 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I use it live, alongside a Kyma system. It's wonderful, although there are some features I really wish that it had for supporting live play. I wish for example that it could receive a sysex dump of it's entire controller state and configuration, so that I could configure it for a show just by playing a sysex dump into it, instead of wading through lots of menus making sure everything is just so. I asked about controller dumps here a while back, because the Virus actually seems to have this feature, but I haven't been able to get it to work. I didn't get a single response to my query here, though.

The occasional glitch, pop, or hangup that the machine suffers makes me a bit nervous about it on stage. I wish it were just as rock-solid and stable as an electric piano.

Finally, my unit at least kind of dribbles out random MIDI messages, like pitch bends and mod wheel stuff, even when I'm not touching the controllers, so I'm hesitant to use it as a controller for other modules even though it's actually excellent for that. That might be a problem with my unit itself, not sure.

Other than those things, though, it is fantastic for live play. I love the multi feature, because you can switch between sounds just by changing channels instead of changing patches, which makes for much smoother changes.

-Luddy