View Single Post
Old 18.12.2008, 07:55 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfb View Post
well na not an actual crossfader, that would be cool, but i love in single mode, when you select the next patch the one you're on fades away nicely, i'm so used to the sound being cutoff completely when you change.
Right. Virus is my first synth, so I already take this smooth patch transition for granted I guess. I would find it annoying if the machine switched patches prematurely. I've already been experimenting with a 'what-if' live performance using multimode, building up for example:

- start with intriguing pseudo-random slow triplet-timed percussive noises, then adding
- introduce big bass thump sound, at first tentatively (as in Meddle) then moving to
- arp 4-on-floor big bass thump, then adding
- slow swelling low pad to set the key and mode expectation, then switching to ***
- big lead melody, with improv variations and sound tweaks

then just break the whole lot down in reverse order. And hey presto, a brontosaurus (thick in the middle, thin at both ends).

It's at the point *** where I cue up the lead sound by selecting its 'part' while still dwelling on the foregoing warm pad (either still with note on or note off but savouring the decay).

This is all no doubt second nature and elementary stuff for you seasoned synthesists, but I am loving my kindergarten phase!

Suzzy