View Single Post
Old 01.09.2009, 12:19 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxahachie View Post
Well, I can see in youtube the decadence of the music and zero creativity and originality, mostly of the people don't play keyboards or don't even use one, looks like the artists now are the engineers and designers because sad to say almost all the people expend thousands and thousands of Dollars on music equipment just for play with them like toys with zero music knowledge, you can see the new fashion called "jam", the guys just switch on sequencers and arppregiators twist a little few knobs and they call that music, just patetic.
I believe the sequencers and the arppregiators are tools for help to play not a way to play music.
I suppose you have to expect this when you watch YouTube but I also see this in live performances as well. In the main genre that I'm into (industrial) everyone including myself sequences pretty much everything out in the studio and plays live lead keys to backing tracks because it would be next to impossible to play the multi-layer stuff from scratch. Industrial bands with lots of dough like NIN for instance also use a personal ear monitor click track that is synced up to the sequencers as well so they can be in time with their live drums etc...

That said, there are numerous bands that I have seen of lately in my area where from what I can tell don't play anything live at all. Dude is pounding away on an Octopad but it isn't in sync with the snare I'm hearing live and another guy is wailing away on a keyboard but again from my educated eye all the sound is really coming out of their ipod or whatever they are using. Half the time I'm not even sure if the vocalist is really singing or lip syncing as well.

Anyway, in my previous band and current band I actually play keys that you can hear in the mix during pretty much the entire song. I know all the notes of my verses, choruses and bridges so I don't feel like I'm cheating people that pay money to come see a live show, not see a bunch of air guitar performers....

Realistically, if I could find enough talented people I'd honestly try to pull the whole thing off live. It would take 2 good drummers and probably at least 2 additional keyboard players. Of all the bands that I listen to Combichrist probably comes the closest to a pure live industrial show. Thats my take on the subject...

Last edited by Zylfrax791 : 01.09.2009 at 01:40 PM.