View Single Post
Old 07.01.2009, 03:25 PM
Am starting to like this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by teethofgold View Post
re: musician, dj, producer

musician - someone who plays a musical instrument (no creativity needed, just skill to play the song... think orchestra)

dj - someone who plays back pre-recorded music

producer - someone who coordinates musicians (or musical elements) to "produce" music

that's my definition... and these days a lot of people are a mix of the three... not to mention that there are composers, songwriters etc... but they don't really apply to electronic music as much.
Indeed, what would you say Squarepusher is when he alternating between playing his bass guitar and controlling a drum machine in time to someone else's record which he is playing on a turntable?

Out of interest, where would you put turntabilists in the definition; there are some, particularly those in groups who make what are undeniably musically speaking, whole new (albeit sample based) tracks where you would really struggle to recognise the source of a single sample; I'm talking about tracks where nothing more than single notes/drum hits are used. One person scratching a HH and another doing a kick drum to provide the drums, someone else playing and constantly re-pitching a single bass note to provide the bassline etc. Accurately repitching, re-ordering, and gating and trimming samples in real times on a turntable is certainly more "musical" in terms of playing an instrument (and requires more skill to do it well) than doing it in a step sequencer on a synth.

On a related note, the main reason I'm currently re-learning to play the violin is to finally record a version of a track I wrote a few years back (for 3 synthetic violin parts) on 'proper' electric violins, exactly as I want it. Would I bother if I had free access to 3 professional violinists I could communicate with effectively enough to get it exactly as I wanted? Probably not; I enjoy the 'production' side more and am better at it. Criticising people for this is akin to saying an architect is in some way inferior to a builder because the latter actually makes the building. I'd say they both play their part.