View Single Post
Old 07.01.2009, 03:39 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

From my experience the lack of musicianship in most cases manifests itself in a form of copying. A lack of musical skill, or in some cases talent, is not actually an obstacle; It's more like a drag on the process. This is how we get taste and smell free electronic music that you forget right after you have heard it. It's kinda shame that most electronic music producers have never actually bothered to study even simple basics of music theory. Their whole thing is an akward game of trial and error. Although a music theory is good slave but, like many other things, extremely lousy master. Even simple knowledge of music theory improves the composing capabilities greatly making finding "the own sound" a hell lot of easier.

Although there have been cases in which the lack of musicianship has created something really wacky. "I have no idea what I'm doing" can sometimes turn out to be something insanely innovative that "a traditional" musician would have hard time to come up with. It's usually very experimental, but mostly fun!

What I think the most common "mistake" done by electronic music producers is that they don't know the capabilities of their synths. They lack the interest in experimenting with sound design and synthesis. It's mostly that super saw crap. What makes electronic music in somewhat unique is that the possibilities in sounds and soundscaping is immense! Take advantage of it, damn it!

What comes to jamming... Well, it's like anything else in the world: If you like it and you don't harm anyone doing it, then why the hell not. Go ahead.