View Single Post
Old 07.01.2009, 04:39 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teethofgold View Post
re: musician, dj, producer

musician - someone who plays a musical instrument (no creativity needed, just skill to play the song... think orchestra)

dj - someone who plays back pre-recorded music

producer - someone who coordinates musicians (or musical elements) to "produce" music

that's my definition... and these days a lot of people are a mix of the three... not to mention that there are composers, songwriters etc... but they don't really apply to electronic music as much.

regarding people jamming with arpeggiators and such... I tend to think of electronic dance music as modern folk music... which I see as music made by the people who enjoy it... so if people are happy playing (and enjoying) other people's music, then who cares?

regardless... I've only seen one person truly play techno music live on a keyboard... it was the dude from rabbit in the moon. he was hitting a pad to trigger a kick drum with one hand while playing keyboard riffs with the other... and it was awesome!
Agree with your definition.

Disagree about "electronic dance music as modern folk music".

Disagree about only one person play electronic music, the electronic/techno/dance belongs to late 70's until today actually still very popular and loved especially in Europe.

Disagree about players the list of professional musicians is endless like: Giorgio Moroder, Gino Soccio, Bobbie Orlando, Emerson and Lake and Palmer, Yazoo, Erasure, Labouche, New Order, Pet Shop Boys, Herbie Hancok, Tomas Dolby, Stevie Wonder, Jean Michell Jarre, etc, etc, etc endless number of real players on the 70's, 80's and 90's, even today.
What happens is the technologie and factories can produce today electronics to low cost and is accesible to too much people even a $3000 synthesizer still accessible comparated with the early electronic music age and credit cards helps too.
I love electronic music like I love Classic music, Jazz, Rock, Salsa Latino even Rock like Mettalica or Rolling Stones, the music is good in every field excempt reggaeton of course.