View Single Post
Old 29.03.2019, 07:34 AM
orx65

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj1978 View Post
Hi

My name is Tim and I bought a Virus B around 20 years ago.
I have used it a lot up until 8 years ago when my son was born and it was not turned on for that period of time.

As i now have a bit more spare time on my hands i decided to get it out and plug it in. Only to discover that when i did power it up both LFO light stay on and the display flickers..

I though might be a dodgy power supply, so bought a new one off access virus official shop . Any how, i got the same issue with the new supply and therefore ruled that out as the problem..

Next I replaced the battery on the motherboard with a new one, still the same issue.

I found an article that suggested it could be the brown capacitor on the motherboard that needs replacing as they had the same symptoms and this seemed to resolve it for them.

however, not being an expert solderer, im a bit stumped on how to de-solder the existing one - do i have to do it from underneath on the bottom of the board..

I attach a pic of the inside of my unit

Any help much appreciated

Regards

Tim
hi

if factory reset not solve i advice for replace the 2 capacitors ..for desolder these 2 caps you can to use desolder sucker (check image below ) or desolder wick .. if you are new in soldering i advice carefully.. this for not damage the print on motherboard anyway check you tube for a million of guide for soldering practical.
- Internal battery is for to preserve storage presets
- Power supply can to be tested with multimeter with the probes in output on connector that goes in female input of m.board , with measurements 12v ..
- capacitors can to be tested (after unsoldering them from the board) with capacimeters .

ps

you don't need to spend too much on the original power supply, but you can easily fit a laptop power supply (12v 2/3A )

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y6e4soemw1...ucker.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/deyszg3dh4...0wick.JPG?dl=0

Good luck

Orlando

Last edited by orx65 : 29.03.2019 at 08:45 AM.