Thread: Korg Radias
View Single Post
Old 20.08.2013, 11:00 AM
Pro
Pro

Thanks for sharing those. The Vocoder demo stood out as impressive and expressive and original. Seen SLEWS of JMJ emulations of Radias and point is, want to establish my OWN original signature sound. The Vocoder track displayed original signature use. Remember, that's just my opinion regarding the Radias when taken in comparison to my other synths, AND the type of music compositions my brain wants to make, it just is a weak link amongst: Virus KC, Waldorf Q, XT, Blofeld, Pulse, DSI MEK, and yes, even Korg DW-8000 from 1986, to name the heavy hitters in being able to hold their own in multi parts and not get totally lost in mix of sound.
However, I do LOVE the modulation sequencers and really wish Korg had made it so that also could output and drive via midi other synths, but yes, there is audio input as an oscillator. Mine is keyboard version and being foremost a pianist, the lack of after touch and a craptastic keybed was disappointing. O.S. Version 2.0 and the editor is quite nice, will admit but again, with any synth with all those knobs, why should I need an editor to program it beyond what just about every you tube video shows, rather than being able to push it's sound in brand new territories like can do with both my Virus KB and KC? (I use the KB as a great controller for my Q rack and process external audio when not needing the KB's extra warmness over the KC).
Timo actually put it very well on something that was driving me wacko that he confirmed in Korg Forum in the loads of past threads I read and learn from in that; the Radias has a bit of an oscillator phasing issue, unlike the Virus where you can depend and rely on fact the Virus will sound the way you want it to at each note-on, that is if you want it to.
Radias just has a shiney, glassy HAPPINESS that in not being new to synthesis, am not alone in difficult task in making it sound "dark" or at least useful that is, for compositions am currently working on and future.
Glad you love it and many do. However, find earlier Korg products, even post-analog days, such as Prophecy, DW-8000 (a hybrid that I actually own that has analog low pass filter, VCA, but that DW-8000 Synth is WHERE it all started with Korg's DWGS, of which are part of Radias' s waveforms.

The Radias probably would sound better, (again, just my opinion), run through a Mutator or Sherman Filter Bank to kill it's HAPPINESS ON STEROIDS sound!
Thanks again for sharing videos, it does not change my personal view of it but being an open minded person here, push come to shove and if the Radias were the only synth I could afford in this life and it was given to me rather than a needed pair of shoes, I probably would know no difference not have "tasted" the blood of the Virus and Q.