View Single Post
Old 30.03.2005, 11:18 AM
Pro
Pro

I thought the purpose of the hypersaw in Virus TI was to do the same trick as in JP8000, to be able to make fat strings and leads and save polyphony without using the unison function at all !?

I always use 2 layers with JP8080, so my supersaw strings and leads have 2x 7 (supersaw) + 2 saw waves (osc2), a total of 16 saw waves. And I have been experimenting with many synths and I have found out that after some point there's no sense to put more saw waves together. The sound will become just a huge noise and doesn't even sound very good in most cases. And those who don't know or remember, the JP8080 HAS a UNISON too. But guess what, I never really use it, because 16 saws are enough with right detunings. The unison hits the sound too hard and it becomes just a fat noise and doesn't sound as beautiful anymore. Different synths have different unison behaviour but in most cases too much saw waves is too much.

And the TI will NOT replace the JP80x0! I have said this before too. Virus sounds great but in some cases the real JP supersaw + the JP 2-pole filter sounds better and virus cannot make that sound because the virus filter sounds completely different and the oscillators lack the highest frequencies, no matter how much you boost them even with sony oxford eq.

With virus I get some really nice ron van den beuken -style saw stacks and some beautiful dark string pads but for brighter strings and saw leads I prefer the JP over virus.