View Single Post
Old 03.03.2009, 08:12 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Based on your current equipment, experience, and intentions, I recommend:

Virus Snow & Novation RemoteSL 61 combo, no additional soundcard at this point.

The only limitation of the Snow, IMHO, is the USB1 (not USB2) speed limit that will give you some latency, however, the direct out function of the Snow compensates for that, and your speedy MBP can subsidize with sheer processing power.

The RemoteSL series are my favorite, with the custom LCD display feature. I do prefer the key action on the M-Audio Axiom line, so I'm currently using an Axiom 61 in conjunction with an SL37. The "drum" pads are much better on the Axiom, as well.... bigger, softer. If you prefer a true weighted piano key action, and space and money is no big deal, then perhaps a weighted 88 key controller is the way to go, along with an SL Zero for the synth controls.

I'm assembling a MIDI programming guide for the RemoteSL series and the Virus, so if you do go that route, drop me a line for more info. There are other MIDI keyboards, but these really are the most widely available and solid ones to consider.