Thread: Gear update
View Single Post
Old 11.07.2020, 12:12 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Default Korg Minilogue XDm

Recently added a Korg Minilogue XDm to my setup. I didn't want to waste space on a tiny keyboard with slim keys (referring to the keyboard version versus the desktop module), I'd rather have a smaller module that I can just keep near one of my 61 key controllers and reach the knobs easily, and non-standard sized keys and cramped octaves aren't my thing. I would have bought a Prologue module if one existed... I think Korg might have decided that an 8-voice Prologue desktop would cost not much less than the 8 voice keyboard to produce, so the price point wouldn't make much sense. A Minilogue XDm is a good way to test the Korg analog waters -- a keyboard version or second module can be polychained for 8 voices controlled from a single unit.

Out of the box, impressions based on presets were somewhat lukewarm --I'm now spoiled by the sound of Sequential gear. I was listening to basses, strings and pads and comparing them to the sounds I get from my Rev2 and OB-6.... and clearly it's not in that league (nothing close)....At first I thought it was going to be a send-back, but then I started tweaking the presets and finding sweet spots, playing with the sequencer + motion feature, the multi-engine and then had that holy shit moment where I realized why this thing gets five star reviews. Once you use the drive to push the signal through the filter, and realize the power of the effects (delay, mod and reverb all simultaneous and the reverb is LUSH), it dawns on you what a creativity powerhouse this little box is! And for $550 USD? Amazing value and recommended, nothing like it at the price point IMHO.

Like I said, it's not going to replace my Sequential stuff but it definitely found a welcome home in my studio.