View Single Post
Old 09.11.2011, 11:39 AM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angstwulf View Post
I doubt there are too many single box workstations that have kept anyone happy for long. The closet I've ever gotten was an E-mu Command Station. Good drums/basses/pads and 128 voice polyphony. Up to 32 tracks onboard or MIDI out. But even then you will want a keyboard and some outboard effects.

If you do go with a Virus then get a sequencer that will also provide sounds: an MPC or an Electribe would match up well. So would either a MachineDrum or MonoMachine. Of this list the MPC will give you a more powerful sequencer. You could use samples for pads and drums and focus the Virus on the monosynth leads/basses.
Yeah I've been speaking to someone else who has a TI2 and I am getting the impression that after 4 or 5 parts I could really run out of juice. The sampler option you noted would seem to be a good compromise. Depending on much ram the sampler has. Which is a shame because the of all the Akai samplers I like the 2000xl most but it only has 32mb ram.

You know though many old EDM track I've heard sound like they are not really made of that many parts. Often when I look at a completed track I don't have more than 7 parts of synths anyway.

Its difficult because

1) its just theory right now since I've not way to try this set-up out without spending a LOT of money

2) If I am going to have to sample the Virus anyway do I really even need a TI. Or even a Virus for that matter. The main appeal was the sound and the 16 parts, however other synths sound good including analog synths and other hardware synths sound good also and are cheaper, like the Nords although they do less. I supposed that's where you get a lot of people asking why would you buy the TI these days?

Well I am going to have to think about it and look into it more I suppose. Analog synths that I am interested in are the Evolver, Leipzig and MacBeths new synth when he finishes it.