View Single Post
Old 11.11.2011, 01:47 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovine View Post
About the only reason I see to use a PC these days is just to add tons of EQ and reverbs and compressor plugins to each track. If you can live without that, then you'll be fine with an MPC!! Its a huge step up from grooveboxes (I own an EMX and ESX too), while still not being a DAW. Excellent!
Without knowing what genres you work in, I will say I've always seen the value of MPC / grooveboxes / Maschine and so forth in hip hop and some other genres. But I don't think any of these machines claim to be an end-to-end solution, they still require a computer to mix and master as far as I understand? This is where EQ and compression and such is really all about.

In my case, the PC has become an instrument in itself -- arguably the most powerful one and the one I can least live without. I have to still be able to input melodies using a musical keyboard, but aside from that its what happens with the mouse and PC keyboard that results in a track. Really if I cannot work on a screen of at least 1920x1200 I feel like I'm playing a piano with two octaves. Doing what I do just using the piano roll would be daunting any other way.

Again, highly dependent on the genres a person is into I guess.

I would no doubt learn some things and probably be amazed watching someone who does everything all with an MPC or even a keyboard workstation.