Thread: Waldorf Kyra
View Single Post
Old 11.10.2019, 08:54 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Although I won't come to any conclusions until I've seen a LOT more real-world reviews, I think the selling point of the Kyra is that FPGA offers a much more powerful synth.

For example, from the manual:
"Effects: Nine module stereo effects unit per Part with a 3-band shelving EQ, a FormantFilter, 5-mode Distortion module, dual Limiters, stereo delay module, 6-stage Phaser with dedicated stereo multishape LFO, Chorus/Flanger module supporting comb and doubling effects and a Reverb module. All 72 effects modules can be used simultaneously without affecting polyphony

https://support.waldorfmusic.com/fil...anual%20EN.pdf

With regard to unison, you can stack up to 20 sounds in dual mode and or layer them (more on this in the manual).

Most of the early reviews I saw of the Kyra commented on things like killer polyphony, killer reverb tails, etc. At the same time, every Virus owner I've ever talked to on the matter feels it sounds great with one or two sounds at a time but is a very polyphony starved synth. It's not the fault of the Virus, it is based on older Motorola DSP chips that were good stuff in their day, it's just that their day was 20 years ago and Kemper hasn't kept up.

I agree with the USB 2.0 implementation though -- not sure what they were thinking there.