Thread: Waldorf Kyra
View Single Post
Old 11.10.2019, 11:35 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
I think the perceived standalone quality and clarity of the algorithms in isolation, such as the oscillators, filters and effects, et al, are more important.

You can have all the polyphony in the world, but if the algorithms are sterile added unison/poly won't make it sound any better, it'll just end up a cacophonous wall of noise.

Even with the Virus, cranking up the poly can make stuff sound convoluted. Dialing back the poly/unison brings back clarity.

Less really can be more.

I look forward to hearing other demos.
For me, poly and unison aren't necessarily intertwined (except in the sense that more unison = less polyphony). Note-stealing is just one of my personal peeves I guess. If I want a release of a certain duration on a given part, I don't want the CPU deciding to short circuit the note because it ran out of resources. Yes, too many notes with too many long releases can muddy each other up, but from a musical standpoint I want my ears to make those decisions, not compute resources.

Unision is the "fatness" of the sound, and yes sometimes less is more. But in terms of poly, to me stealing of notes is never a good thing. Physical instruments like pianos or guitars do not have polyphony limitations, and it's always been a downside of the digital age that synths do. 128 actual voices, with zero chance for contention is a pretty good selling point for a synth.