View Single Post
Old 17.03.2013, 04:52 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Honestly wasn't even aware of this particular device, it looks something like a groove box, is that right?
Yes but way WAY more than what that definition would employ. From wavetable synthesis, FM, SuperWave, VO--consonants and vowels formant synthesis, drum kits, dedicated effect engine, SID (commodore 64) Synth...12 sequencers with from what following manual through exercises, display exceptional midi timing....a very deep machine and I bought an used first/MK1 version for a gr8 price, they have a newer version that even allows one to import user sample waves. The manual is very well-written, while encouraging freedom and creativity. Admittedly, it has it's own 'work flow' that I will have to learn but like anything, once the interface is learned, it's like a musical instrument that's malleable as moist piece of clay in it's potential uses. Elektron is a very small Swedish Co. and would say much smaller than DSI, BUT they have QUICKLY answered every question almost immediately.
I learned about them when the Elektron Analog 4 was released. My DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard covers that territory very well but what Elektron employ on their "machines" is something called "Parameter Locks" and probably best to go to electron.se and read/watch their videos to see why this is SO cool! Deep! These 5 different synthesis engines have various machines within them and yes, you can connect a midi controller or any synth via midi OR via audio inputs and use Parameter Locks even on that...it's brilliant in it's complexity!