View Single Post
Old 13.06.2004, 03:50 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I don't think it would be sensible for Access to shoehorn all those different types of synthesis into the Virus. If they did, it would be in danger of becoming something other than a Virus, and so far they have been very successful at maintaining a strong foothold in the market by just making the Virus better and better and making sure that it retains a competitive edge in certain areas. One of the major strengths of the Virus range is that they all retain a certain character, which has become part of the musical landscape.

It's not like I don't understand where you're coming from, Timo - believe me, you'd be hard-pushed to find someone more excited about a brand new 'ubersynth' from Access than I would be! But at the same time, it's easy to forget that your own personal feelings about the Virus are not necessarily indicative of others'. There are still loads of musicians who are yet to encounter a Virus - I think their potential marketplace has far from dried up. For instance, I was amazed at the number of people at NAMM who had no idea what a Virus was - far different from Frankfurt the year before, where nearly every visitor was already a Virus owner!

As for new features, I'm with Hollowcell, personally - I'd love to see more filters and distortion types; these would enhance the existing architecture, without fundamentally changing what the Virus is. The new Analog 1-4P filters with their *gorgeous* embedded saturation have really whetted my appetite!