Thread: Namm 2013
View Single Post
Old 02.02.2013, 04:28 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Does this imply that Ableton Live works better on a Mac than a PC or same expectations for performance?
Does anyone have any experience with PreSonus Studio One Artist DAW? I ask because a new audio interface am considering, whether usb or firewire, PreSonus includes full copy of Studio One Artist.
What I'm trying to figure out, as I re-do my music setup from the ground up (well, as much from the ground up as needed) is if there is truly an advantage to one over the other. I've mentioned how I don't like Apple's lack of commitment to cutting edge desktops (important for music due to thermal issues of high performing CPUs, and that's not gonna change IMO).

However at some point I want to get back into hardware. I still want to get a Virus TI2 again despite lack of innovation, if I can get it to work properly and consistently with regard to the integration over USB. If I can't accomplish that, there is really no compelling reason to focus on the Virus over other hardware toys, which is fine too.

But, if I end up focusing on other hardware toys, I'm gravitating toward the Apollo quad as an interface, as it seems advantageous there (but it's not cheap at $2500). Have you guys read the reviews from folks that have one? Most say single most important piece of hardware they own. If I can't get the TI portion of Virus working to my liking, I might as well just assemble my hardware setup from various synths that need little more than MIDI and audio outs to the Apollo. The Apollo DSP + plugins would solve one of the reasons for the Virus in the first place, to offload CPU processing somewhere else and supposedly provide fantastic sound for whatever vintage gear I decide to pick up on ebay and feed into it.

But remember all that is a backup plan. I much prefer the idea of being able to properly integrate the VC software with my DAW and be able to play into it relatively latency free, but it seems there is no universal agreement here on which DAW or even Mac or PC. I personally run a mean PC but I had major problems with the Virus and FLStudio. At that time feedingear and maybe others were having what was presented as perfect luck with Cubase on PC, but more recently he says Cubase on PC had driver problems and he went Mac but is disappointed with the choice. Berni is a Mac user and seems to have had experiences similar to mine. A while back there was a thread where it seemed like the majority of folks with Cubase on Win7-64 were having good luck. Other's have just concluded that Access is full of shit and due for a class action lawsuit over promises broken.

All I want to know is which DAW, and Mac or PC? Where is the TI portion of Virus proven to work? And if the answer is that they're all a gamble, even that info helps me plan my setup. I really don't mind to learn an entirely new DAW from the ground up even if it takes months to achieve full productivity, its only a hobby for me. Investing heavily in Logic is really scary considering Apple's history, but I'm open to that, Cubase, Live, Sonar whatever needs to be done.

But is there even an answer or consensus to this?