Thread: Namm 2013
View Single Post
Old 02.02.2013, 06:45 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
I think the general consensus is use a PC & Cubase. Having said that I have found the VST version works pretty good right now in most VST host's, mac or pc. I would avoid the AU & RTAS versions like the plague. It's still a crap shoot though & a ball ache to get running no matter what you choose.
I was leaning heavily toward PC+Cubase for the long-term. Once about 6-7 years ago when I mentioned wanting peace of mind in the longevity of my DAW (meaning the DAW becomes an instrument in itself to me, and the less time I have to spend re-learning new ones the better my workflow becomes).... someone said just go Cubase if you want peace of mind. Maybe that's what I should do, after all they are the creator of the VST standard.

But I'm always keeping an eye and ear open for real-world experiences with the Virus, and it seems to be like you said with any software from Access, a crap shoot no matter what you choose. I've recently considered just focusing on maybe getting an Apollo as the centerpiece, then buying used gear on the cheap (older Viruses like the C for example), not even worrying too much about trying to get VirusControl or similar working properly or even USB at all. I'd love to pick up something like the KingKorg or Prophet12, and forgetting about getting the Virus software working properly would help with that end goal.

I will add one interesting piece of info. I recently noticed on one of my PCs, I had intermittent results with some things that seemed to want full speed USB. For example a portable GPS and also a radar detector that gets updated with data from a central server. Over time I realized that the combination of cable and port I was using was making the difference in being able to update both devices in a matter of minutes versus half a day. So, to try to eliminate various USB 2 hurdles I picked up a USB 3 card and dropped it in. They both update instantaneously now. I'm tempted to pick up another Virus and see how my USB experience compares to when I had the Ti2 Desktop before, yet make sure it is plugged into the dedicated USB3 card.... could be part of my hassles were due to that.