View Single Post
Old 12.11.2014, 01:49 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
I'll go on to add, if you hadn't even heard of him it kind of suggest you are actually suffering from old mans syndrome bringing up this debate. Rather than the actual point you are trying to mask it behind.
One could come to that conclusion if they are trying hard to.

Quote:
In 20 years from now the kids who grew up listening to Calvin Harris and had no interest in FWM arn't suddenly going to erase all their memories of the music they grew up with. It is that that will hold a place in their heart and have that uniqueness too not FWM. I am like you using FWM and Calvin as example to the point not actualities.
I believe understand the point you are trying to make. Even the kiddies of today probably have trouble imagining an era where people spend a months salary on a home stereo system to play vinyl. The kiddies of today have absolutely no mental concept of purchasing quality handmade shoes. They have grown up in an era where everything is mass produced cheaply and badly in China, just like most of the music they listen to is produced cheaply and badly. I do agree with your point here and would like to thank you for further validating my position.

Quote:
As for the Armin comment you made, then through away by mentioning how FWM could easily sit down and play any acoustic. WHO CARES about Acoustic ability.
No I clearly pointed out Armin is only a DJ and not in the same league as some of the musicians who have stood the test of time. Sorry you missed it.

Quote:
Give members of FWM an empty Virus, you think they'd be able to come up with the unique sounds that has graced our EDM scenes. There's hundreds, millions even of people who can sit and play. Playing ability means shit in the real world, it's the producers and the engineers who make them sound good.

Leave some of the best known bands in a studio with no hardcore engineer who'll sit their for hours crafting their sound and they will basically sound like shit.
Well this brings up a couple of other points. Do yourself a favor and watch a movie called "Sound City", about a specific music studio where so many of the albums that are considered some of the greatest music of all time were recorded. It's quite interesting even if you are unable to see how it helps support some of the ideas I've brought forth here.

I did say a couple of points. The second point is that Lindsey Buckingham was not only an amazing guitarist (decent but perhaps not great singer), but also a genius producer/mixer. He was both the musician and the master engineer, one of the reasons why Fleetwood Mac still sells albums and commands top dollar for tickets for sold out shows while the teeny bopper bubble gum pop stars command a fraction of the ticket value and can only pray that their career actually lasts as long.

So, how can anyone compare these modern artists with someone like Buckingham who not only directly contributed to the "engineering" aspect of Fleetwood Mac's success, but also played and wrote many of the tunes? How many of these producers that you feel are solely responsible for "good" sound can just walk out on a stage with a guitar and do this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdd_fv0xrSo

Quote:
Being a VIRUS forum i'm surprised to hear what you said.
Actually I think in terms of electronic music, one of the great pivotal eras was right around the time the Virus hit the market. It put powerful VA in the hands of true synth gear heads, and it would be many years before cheaper and more easily available softsynths would fall into the hands of the masses, resulting in a flood of horrible electronic music. So in that sense it's quite an appropriate discussion for a Virus forum I think, even if most of my points are being embarrassingly overlooked.