View Single Post
Old 24.04.2013, 11:43 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Jolt View Post
10 to 50 voices is pretty decent, maybe not that price but what would you say about the snow's latency with live performance? As long as it automates plenty of parameters, plays midi notes/chords and it's a Virus the price doesn't bother me. I would practically gett it for the pads, the "TI", and that authentic Virus sound.
If you can, play around with one so you can get a feel for what 10-50 voices really means in practical sound design. 3 osc with unison 3 is 9 voices while holding one key down, and that's before the DSP-gobbling features like FX which will reduce numbers quickly. Granted, that may depend on what kind of music you want to make, and you did mention pads which are polyphony heavy.

I had bad luck with latency at the time and sent my desktop back, but since then I have reason to believe there may have been other issues affecting my USB performance. I have the Ultranova connected to a dedicated USB 3 card in a dedicated music PC now so I'm not comparing that aspect fairly with the Virus a few years back. I think you'd have to get consensus from others on that one, it may depend on platform and DAW, I just know that a while back I noticed Cubase users on Windows were having the best luck but I think the recent scuttlebutt is that things have improved on all platforms.