View Single Post
Old 26.04.2013, 04:14 AM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
I thought I'd pipe-in because I have the Alesis Ion, which the Micron's synth engine is identical, but with a craptastic user interface...I only keep the Ion because with all the knobs coupled with a really greatly deep synth engine with amazing amount of and types of filters.
However, Alesis decided to use NPRN rather than MIDI because they needed the vast number of parameter 'steps' that if MIDI were used there would have been unavoidable stepping in osc's, lfo's, et al.....because of this, particularly even moreso with the little Micron and Miniak (another repackaged Ion Engine, still bad interface as Micron), there's really YET to be editing software that can decipher all those huge NPRN values, let alone dependable *automation* in a DAW.
It's not you or your DAW, it's most certainly the Micron! The Ion is a joy to program and not only faithfully emulates classic analog sounds with it's great VA filters and huge modulation matrix, esp. for some really out there sounds and people tend to kind of play real time when recording or like what I am doing, ambient, droney- hypnotize-cats type experimental stuff.
DSI at least uses SYSEX for those extreme lfo and other parameters way beyond midi's numerical capacity with good handful of midi controllable parameters in the mix.
Your Micron's small form factor, powerful matrix, has a handy redeemable reason to hold onto it--the external inputs and all those crazy filters, not to mention the 40 band vocoder that does not cost any polyphony, and it does various synthy bass sounds quite well!
NPRN and crazy hex sequential parameter ID's...oh my!
The none-Ti Virus synths make wonderful pads as well if you do not wish to wrestle with Virus Control. Seems to be a mixed-bag how that works.
Rant over, (keep your Micron or get an Ion for tons of fun)
Oh I'm keeping my Micron I love it still but I just wanted some decent intigration. I'll just use it without my computer or without making it jump through all sorts of hoops. With everything said in this thread, i still would really like a Virus Ti Snow. I'd go polar but I don't feel like saving up that much money. I'm digging the small portable set up I'm building. The Snow would fit in great with my minitaur, minibrute, and micron