View Single Post
Old 10.06.2012, 11:32 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
Right on, thanks for the info.

I assumed that fairly basic individual basses, leads, FX would be no problem at all with the Snow... just concerned with trying to do big (4-8 note) chord pad/pluck type sounding progressions might cause problems. Seems not. If I'm working on a part by part basis in a song, 4 different parts or patches on the Snow to create one sound seems like more than enough.. I mean how many patches actually use 5-16 different parts in a sound? is that common? Wondering if any Snow users run into problems with soundsets available for Virus?
I wanted to reply to your original question, but I've already written so many of my experiences with the Virus (I had a Ti2 Desktop unit once before but I've returned to all-software for the time being) in various threads on this forum (and when I wrote them, some things were much fresher in my mind), that my best offering is to ask that you take some time to read over what I and others have written about the issues with total integration and USB over the past few years. I say that because the TI aspect and DAW integration seems important to you, as it was to me, and that was the biggest letdown aspect of the Virus to me. Also, it seems like you like pluck/pad type trance sounds, which as you know are resource intensive, and IMO this is not a strong point of even the Ti2 which is twice as powerful as the Snow. I came to the conclusion that the total processing power of the Virus made it seem like my own CPU was about 10 times more powerful. How much other Virus users agree or disagree can really come down to other things like what types of sounds they are using, the music they are producing, how much realtime control they are willing to give up by bouncing down tracks etc.

Personally the difficulty of getting the thing working consistently and dealing with latency in the DAW was not worth it, thus I went back to VSTs. Some of the VSTs I use (Zebra, Synthmaster, Dune etc) actually seem to do plucks and leads better than the Virus to my ears. I think most of the folks that are happy with their Viruses are not very dependent on the TI aspect.. maybe I'm wrong about that.