View Single Post
Old 08.12.2005, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by index
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Orange
By the way, don't read this as though I don't have other issues with the TI's stability. I just don't think it's the TI that's at fault in this case.

I will try your 1st sequence, maybe filtering out the sysex, or thinning out the cc data if it jams up. I'll let you know how I get on. But first, a little sleep.

Mr O
Thanks for testing.

If you have the USB cable connected also, try switching from the midiports to USB midi and see if its the same there.
I tried your first sequence last night, again using only midi cables and the same PC running Logic 5.5.1 and the MT4 midi interface. As I expected, all that sysex embedded in a running sequence really jammed the pipes up, but amazingly, Logic kept right on playing - some dopplering (as Ben calls it), but note timing was astonishingly tight. The TI behaved itself (yeah!!!), and even politely informed me at one point that the midi buffer was full.

Interestingly, the TI was still receiving sysex data 5 - 10 seconds after I stopped the sequencer, which goes to show how much backlog of midi data there was. Logic (and Notator in its previous incarnation on the Atari) always has been good as prioritising midi data, and was presumably giving priority to note data rather than the sysex. Perhaps Logic is better than Cubase in this respect, but that is a debate best left to a different thread.

I then stripped out the sysex, but left in the control data. It ran fine. No timing problems at all. Again, I changed some of the sounds to ensure they all had good, strong attacks and could detect no timing issues, phasing or Doppler effect.

Sorry, I haven't tested this with USB midi, and no, I don't have Cubase SX, but thanks for the opportunity to experiment thus far. My conclusion remains the same; i.e. that the issues here are to do with the limits of midi rather than the TI.

Mr O