Thread: Characters
View Single Post
Old 18.01.2009, 03:34 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talos View Post
To me it seemed pretty self explanatory, but I registered here just to clarify for you guys.
If you didnt read the documentation, shame on you, how can you be so in love with your instrument and not bother reading the supplied info?

I believe the old analogue boost did more than just EQ warmth, it added some instability to the machine as in an Analogue instrument, these new algorithms certainly do.

It's subtle but I have already gone through a lot of my patches applying the fitting characters, and it really adds.. well.. Character.

I dont know, but it sounds like some of the algorithms (bass and lead) seem to shift the spectra slightly, to accentuate the sound.

Theres a difference between making the oscillator pitch slightly unstable by introducing slop, such as on the DSI synths, and changing the overall character of a patch.

I can make pitch unstable by applying a slow pitch lfo and achieve the same effect.

Shifting the spectra, what exactly do you mean, how does it work?

I'm asking for a clear description of how these work, rather than some vagueness.

The manual's description is vague as hell.

'use the characters to apply subtle changes to the sound of the filters, oscillators, and the character of the nonlinearities and distortions throughout the instrument'

If it said "this makes oscillator pitch slightly unstable, changes filter resonance to sound more like a moog, and overdrives the VCA", then I would have some idea what it does, but all it describes there is some kind of glorified EQ

No one cares, no one sympathizes.
So you just stay home and play synthesizers.

www.myspace.com/the_joey
www.myspace.com/blushresponsenyc