View Single Post
Old 03.05.2013, 11:17 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
That's what I meant, the "MiniNova"...and realize I am off-base because totally different knob configuration and such with mininova.
I actually was going to ask you if there's a limit to how many parameters you can influence/change via the touch or is the engine such that it does not glitch if say you made a very long release and then just went mad touching knobs and such?
Lastly, is there any glitching in aforementioned scenario when connected in the vst? Do you HAVE to use the integration to deeply program or is all that available as a stand alone synth?
It's fully designed to be a stand-alone synth with emphasis on live play, you don't have to use the VST at all and you can get to all functions through the menus, but the display is just a one-liner at a time, so certain things would be infinitely more productive in the editor... For example the modulation matrix, you've got 20 slots with two potential sources (not counting the knob assignment) and one destination for each slot. Using only the synth you'd have to page through one mod slot at a time, on the editor you see 10 slots at a time (two pages of a grid) so it's more productive that way. Plus, you've got visualizations of things right there in front of you, like lets say LFO3 is a sine wave and you're using that as a source to modulate a filter on OSC2, well the actual rate of that sine wave, whether its free or synced etc is not going to be visible on that same line of the LCD display while making that mod slot assignment, but on the editor you'd have a graphic representation of the sine wave at the top of same screen to help keep things in context.

This could be irrelevant with simple modulations, but think about a situation where you get many of those going on (for the sake of knob assignments), and now remember that you can do things like modulate the rate of LFO3 with LFO1 via another mod slot! Lots of modulation options means lots of opportunity for losing track of what's what, and it's much easier to keep up with on the editor. You would just be menu diving more without the editor.

In terms of glitchy behavior with lots of weird knob modulations on patches with long release, no not at all, you can go nuts assuming no other technical issues going on. The only thing that feels slightly glitchy (impaired by MIDI itself I guess) to me are things like patch browsing through the editor, that require synchronization between the VST and the synth. You don't have to do that if you don't want though. And at the end of it, it's still smoother than my experience with the Virus editor.

It's not to say you couldn't encounter particular bugs. I saw someone saying that selecting certain waveforms in the editor was crashing the VST for him in Cubase. I've had no such problems in Cubase so I suspect he had something else going on, or maybe they've just patched it since (it was an older post).