View Single Post
Old 01.06.2013, 03:45 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

I've discovered something about this synth that seems odd to me, like a design flaw that's based more in hardware than software.

If I'm playing a sound and I have the "big knob" of the Ultranova set to cutoff filter (what most of us are likely to use it for), and during play I reach up and give it a firm and rapid counter-clockwise twist (for expressive reasons, to "dry" the cutoff quickly for effect while playing), I've noticed that the faster I twist it, the more likely it is to actually INCREMENT the filter cutoff than decrement it. For example if cutoff = 20, decrementing it too fast might actually leave you with a value of 24! In other words working the knob a little more slowly (for a more typical filter sweep) works as expected, but the knob cannot respond properly to extremely rapid motion.

A little disappointing considering its something I would consider as an acceptable fluke between (and admittedly I have not yet tried the latest OS update to see if it made a difference), but something like that takes away from "hardware as an instrument" vs. a softsynth + midi controller.

For example, if I just bind Automap to one of the pots on the MKII to the cutoff knob on the Ultranova VST, then do a rapid counterclockwise motion on the pot, the result is pretty much instantaneous... the filter never INCREMENTS when I'm rapidly telling it to DECREMENT.

Maybe this is just a fundamental flaw in the Ultranova hardware, or something they will fix in an OS revision......
....or maybe it's a fundamental flaw in the notion that interaction with dedicated hardware is better somehow than a MIDI controller of your choice + VST?

I would say this is something specific to the Ultranova, and maybe this particular buggy behavior is, but it actually pales in comparison to some of the nightmares I read about here getting the Virus to work properly. I guess the soft-synth world has spoiled me, I'm used to things now working as advertised.