View Single Post
Old 15.04.2013, 06:53 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
The sound quality sounds good, but it initially appears such a meagre update, and in comparison it lacks so much functionality that the TI has.

2 oscillators, 20 voice poly, no aftertouch, and no alpha-numeric display!

I do like the morphing feature though, where you can assign different parameter values in a patch as "snapshots" within the patch, and then call up the changes or blend between them by pressing the recall buttons.
Yep, and let's not forget the Virus's had two filters from the start! The Nord only has one multi-mode filter, with newer modes now (the vowel has also come out on the Virus recently). Let's forget about the FX, but not before saying: where the hell are the audio ins? First time they get effects on the board and no audio routing of any kind, really?

And the other one, which some people miss on this thing: filter has a dedicated envelope, like most VA do, but... it's not bipolar, you can't actually invert it. I do like the sound of, say, two synced oscillators with a high-pass filter modulated by an envelope, making the filter open on each note (with plenty attack you feel it slide)... You still can't do this on the Nord Lead.

I actually like the immediacy of this kind of physical interface. It invites people to play and create sounds without using menus. I get that and I like it. I also do love the sound of this machines: it's got some rawness to it, and very clear highs that really do cut through very well on any mix - and I'm sure each one of us knows a lot of music made using it, just think of old times Goa Psy, for example. But... I'd be much happier with a Nord Modular G3, or a more ambitious Lead!

Oh, last time I checked the keybed on this things felt cheap to! I do like the pitch mod thing though, very handy! And who doesn't like the LFO's range knobs on this things? Very good for any sort of squelchy stuff, like the FM a lot to. But... was seriously hoping for a lot more!