View Single Post
Old 04.12.2005, 05:42 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

I just look for something I can stand listening to for ages, then after that flat response and good separation - not too fussed about the depth of bass response as you will get used to it anyway. Over time I have come to the conclusion I should look for another pair of monitors.

I have the Event TR8XL which is very pleasent to work with for hours on end, no fatigue, great sound, deep bass response, fairly wide sweet spot and seem to be quite accurate in imaging - and as they sound great, they are a joy to create with.

Their downside is they seem rather sensitive to location compared to some I have used. I also think they are making me lazy with mixing - its too easy to get a mix that sounds really good on them, so I might actually start looking around for a second pair of more brutally representative monitors to use just for mixing and post production maybe even grot box type things.

I would advise against sub base setups as a primary monitor set for mixing - every time you move slightly the whole frequency balance can seem different. Subs are a demo room thing for me. They can be great for listening to what your recording with so you can feel that deep bass - but I truly hate trying to mix with them and for post production - forget it.

So for you - maybe ask yourself what you want out of your monitors - a good and brutal guide for mixing, or enjoyable sound while creating?

824s and 624s have a reasonable rep in their price range for being a good guide more than a pleasent pair of monitors to create with. 824s are alot better to create with, but I think they make you lazy as well.