View Single Post
Old 24.07.2010, 05:56 AM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
I bought a second hand Virus Indigo (B) for £400 about four or five years ago. It's a fantastic little synth, and the only bit I really "miss" is the MoogFilter of the Virus C and perhaps the Hypersaw of the TI.
I'll be honest, you don't need to miss the hypersaw. This is probably the most critical feature for the kind of music I create, because it permeates into pads, leads, plucks etc.

I've had excellent results with certain softsynths like Zebra, Sylenth, and most recently Oresus. To be honest the first time I plugged up the TI2 desktop I bought, I was a little disappointed in the hypersaw the virus offered -- not that it sounded bad I guess but just that I was expecting it to sound vastly better than softsynths?

Really, I keep telling people if you want good saw sounds, try Oresus. The filter-shaping features made it so much easier than anything else I've seen to get the sound I wanted, and the cost is cheap! I was able to do dreamsynth/plucky trance sounds with this in 5 minutes that would have taken me hours with the Virus (assuming I could get the software to work properly on Windows 7 64bit!).

For a more versatile synth that has a more versatile palette, and can truly mimick acoustic instruments, Zebra2 is one of the champions.

I honestly believe that once in the mix, the difference between the Virus and softsynths on a PC with decent processing power (Core i7) are largely indistinguishable. If they are distinguishable it is more a factor of good mixing than the oscillators and filters themselves.