View Single Post
Old 27.01.2014, 06:38 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
when it comes to drum machines, to this day, there's two takes:

one is the sequencer based drum programming, like the Roland TR series

the other is the MPC kind of way, where you perform with sensitive pads that give you the dynamics and groove of a natural performance - hopefully.

the Maschine is like the natural progression of this two things, coupled with software integration, now that we're living in the DAW age. but, it's still dependant on the very same things. plus, even on NI's factory bank you find a ton of original 808 and 909 samples. Fact is, even most modern music rellies heavily on layering those or synthesized drums in general with accoustic samples for multi-layered, real fat drums.

the coming together of Dave Smith (almost the father of MIDI) and Roger Linn, the man behind the MPC and the inventor of midi swing, quantize, etc; in the form of Tempest doesn't read to me like a step back, but a clear sign that what worked back then still works today, but that's entirely dependant on your workflow and setup of course.

owning Maschine, you know how the physical interface has an impact on how you make your beats, and having a simple and intuitive interface allows you to dive deeper on the drum side of making music. same thing can be said for these machines of the past, some of them being used to this day both on studio or live.
Actually the MPC is a sampler & does NOT generate any sound unlike the the drum machines I am talking about which are completely redundant at this point as far as I'm concerned. Sure there are people still using them...hey there are still some old farts putting together analog synths but I dont hear any MUSIC out of them just a bunch of boring blips & squelches. & yes if I want that generic beat box sound (I mean any of them that have ever been manufactured in the last 30 years) i can, but they mostly sound like crap so why would I. This is 2014...Hello!
The one thing I used to hate when I started DJing was the forty somethings coming up to me & say "play some 60's stuff' thankfully there generation are mostly dead now so I don't have to hear about the good old days & play there (mostly) crap music.
I think most people have the generic 808/909 sampled out the ying yang & releasing ANOTHER box with buttons, knobs & flashing LED's isn't going to make it sound any more interesting.
I was a drummer in several bands for many years playing the real thing & for me the Maschine is about as good as it gets for modern beat making. Before that it was all about the MPC but times have changed.
The point I am trying to get at is the people who embraced the new drum sound back then are just as stuck in the sound as old farts that still like 60's music. I guarantee there are very few young electronic producers even bothering with trade shows like NAMM.
Seriously, why would they? With DAW's like Ableton live etc. who needs a bunch of flashing boxes with knobs to wank off too
Oh yeah thats right, young electronic producers are mostly wankers...please disregard this post