View Single Post
Old 27.01.2014, 05:09 PM
Veteran
Veteran

interesting posts here!

owning the Maschine, you guys need to realize you have a drum machine already...

I mean, would you be ok with just the software? or do you value the velocity sensitive pads? and the interface itself?

I think the physical interface is much more valuable then the sounds themselves. I mean, why on Earth would I need Maschine just for the library sounds? (they're damn good, but so are milions of sample packs out there?), or the software? owning a daw, how come I'd be interested in yet another piece of software to sequence, pitch-shift, time-stretch, or even, the recent and aclaimed drum synths, that look just like the Kong ones in old Reason, and sound no different then those boring samples on an 808 or 909, just like any synthesized drum sound will, imo. being so modern and proficient with digital tools, you know the source is just the raw material and what makes things stand out is the processing. and in drums, layering!

let me also tell you this: Roger Linn is the master when it comes to drum pads. both Maschine and Push, and Tempest owe that to him. you know of how close Akai and Ableton are, right? no wonder, this know how is what makes it work. compare the pads on such machines with those on a Novation SL mk2 and you'll instantly know why. and Tempest, sounds like 80's? hell, go to a store and try it, then process those sounds with your plug-in chain of choice and you have full spectrum analogue voices, midi synced, perfect sensitive pads, so forth and so on... just saying...

Myself, I don't even use Battery. I use audio channels. and I can make it sound like a real drummer if I want to. but will probably get Maschine, just for the interaction itself, the physicial interface mind you, not the software side of things. Maschine is a controller with excepcional pads and software integration, period.

Analogue doesn't necessarily sound old and dusty. Just visit a friend that happens to own a euro rack system and you'll instantly be reminded why... just my 2 cents