View Single Post
Old 10.02.2014, 08:58 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Perhaps what I am wondering is if there's a lot of people that forgo practice makes perfect, acquired skills, and music theory? Glad to hear other thoughts on this.
I don't know, there are certain types of music where music theory doesn't help, while practice always helps whatever we do, musical or non-musical.

It's not that I believe Skrillex or whoever are skill-less (as coincidentally as a pun might tend to arise from that sentence). I would actually shake the kid's hand and congratulate him if I ever met him, because he is basically credited with inventing a musical genre, something that not too many folks can claim -- it's just that I believe that particular genre is more technical in nature than musical, and if we are in the business of admiring technical skills then the best music producers in the world start to look less impressive up against a mediocre, run of the mill software developer. For me to enjoy their music is a whole different beast, they don't need to create a new genre for that.

However, this thread got me thinking over the last two days. I was trying to identify any musical band or artist that has been formed in recent years that actually got my attention, motivated me to listen to the product of their labor. I really can't think of one in recent years that caught my ear. At first I thought of MGMT, because I thought some of their tunes were decent, but it turns out they were actually formed in 2002, which is just a couple of years before the industry started really imploding. You can see where I'm headed with that -- a talent vacuum stemming from Internet sharing. I'm not talking about decent music emerging from already established bands, I'm looking for examples of bands/artists that were formed after say 2006 or so that are worth listening to. Thoughts?