View Single Post
Old 01.08.2009, 06:23 AM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I can't see why anyone needs to be hostile or dismissive of the suggestion that a standalone editor would be nice. If it's such an obvious non-starter and ridiculous idea, then why do Roland, Korg, Yamaha, Nord, and many others provide computer interfaces of this kind to their synths? All of these companies are clueless about synth interface design? hmm.

Here's the thing. If someone prefers to work in standalone mode for one reason or another -- because they want to use the analog outs, or because they are using a hardware sequencer, or because they find the latency of TI mode to be problematic when they are tracking, or whatever -- then they don't get any software editor to the machine at all while they are recording with it. In other words, there is kitchen sink USB TI mode, in which audio and MIDI and editing and everything goes through the computer, or standalone mode, in which nothing does. These are very extreme choices. To have a software librarian for organizing patches while you are recording would be really nice even for those of us working in standalone mode.

It's not the end of the world; I'm crazy about the Virus and I have used it in standalone mode from the first day and I've been very happy with it. But it irritates me a little that several of my much older synths have computer-based librarians and editors while, effectively, I don't get that functionality from the Virus because I choose to use it standalone.

-Luddy