View Single Post
Old 03.10.2013, 01:36 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillator View Post
Yeah, the 1000$ price range is very high, considering that a i7 PC costs less!
I have Ableton Push that is great, and 500$ are a better value, even if it's a little high priced.

I understand the uniqueness of these controllers, but without the computer they are unusable...
This is why I think part of their strategy may be to get folks hooked on using the Maschine software as their primary sequencer/DAW, then the next step is put the CPU on Maschine itself (as well as the audio interface etc as Berni said). Hopefully if they do that, they will continue offering the lower-end less integrated Maschines, because not all of us want more size or tons of features piled onto the existing units. I'd be happy knowing I can buy same again if mine ever dies.

So the fully integrated approach is not necessarily what everyone wants, but there are a lot of Maschine users who would really like it to be a true standalone workstation, and as the price increases and features get added, it begins to approach that. For Native-Instruments, becoming one of the major DAWs overnight, completely independent of PC or Mac, would be a hugely powerful situation to find themselves in.

Personally I love my $400 original Maschine (bought right before introduction of MKII for 1/3 off the price). I wouldn't use the displays or standalone behaviors if it had them, I need big screens for my sequencing work.