View Single Post
Old 03.10.2013, 08:45 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
This is why I think part of their strategy may be to get folks hooked on using the Maschine software as their primary sequencer/DAW, then the next step is put the CPU on Maschine itself (as well as the audio interface etc as Berni said). Hopefully if they do that, they will continue offering the lower-end less integrated Maschines, because not all of us want more size or tons of features piled onto the existing units. I'd be happy knowing I can buy same again if mine ever dies.

So the fully integrated approach is not necessarily what everyone wants, but there are a lot of Maschine users who would really like it to be a true standalone workstation, and as the price increases and features get added, it begins to approach that. For Native-Instruments, becoming one of the major DAWs overnight, completely independent of PC or Mac, would be a hugely powerful situation to find themselves in.

Personally I love my $400 original Maschine (bought right before introduction of MKII for 1/3 off the price). I wouldn't use the displays or standalone behaviors if it had them, I need big screens for my sequencing work.
I guess they could be heading in that direction. I think many people, specially those who have grown using the MPC as their main machine would welcome a standalone Maschine with sampling abilities included.

I think that, in present times such a feature (AD converters and pre-amps) would be kind of redundant, since most of those wanting to buy this probably have an audio interface already in their studio.

And I think Native Instruments is one of the companies who have struggled a lot to prove that software instruments can have great quality, both in terms of sound and features, that it would be surprising to see them hit the market with a standalone hardware machine. I think it's much more likely for them to present a DAW somewhere in the future, so they'd really be on top of their game, providing everything one needs to produce music. But then again, with them having such good relationship with Ableton - no coincidence Maschine works so well under that environment - it would also be a bit redundant, so I expect them to keep developing their Maschine software instead - bringing more features and better performance to the table, AND quite possibly extend this to better performance features as well for live usage.