View Single Post
Old 07.05.2013, 06:45 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Automap works fine for me. I just edit the templates myself and make them standard for the machines I want to use it with. I tend to edit the number of points for the knobs and encoders, so as to get a more natural feel - to much points and you can't turn the filter like you would on the virus, for example. So I always tune that to taste. After I save those settings, everything works fine. I don't really use the mixer template in logic that much, sometimes I use the transport buttons and recording and all of that. Enabling the click from the keyboard and that sort of thing! But I think Automap works fine once you lose some time with it to really dig the options there - it's just not as instant as they say it is to get best results. But I prefer that to using the midi learn on the daw or the machines themselves, honestly. It's much more streamlined and it gives some important feedback on its screen and on the screen if you choose to with the pop ups - useful for live act.

And I think it's got a lot better with the years to. But I'd really like to have some superior grade knobs, I don't like the encoders as much, I don't really care much for the lead lights showing where it's turned at - I just get a better feeling with the pots I guess. Wish they'd start making controllers more synthesizer based and less generic usage. And with better quality. Automap seems to be evolving just fine, I'd like to see ribbon and great knobs, faders would be ok in a JP8080/SH101 design I guess - not the cheap plastic ones though eheh.

I've looked around and there's simply not a lot of options when it comes to controllers. It all looks like the same S#$%!