View Single Post
Old 17.02.2013, 03:07 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Always wished for faster LFOs on the the Virus for modulation purposes. They also tend to alias a lot at the extremes.

Incidently I wondered how fast the LFOs actually were in my Indigo the other night, after reading that the Prophet 12 LFOs went up to 4KHz, and after doing a quick test the Indigo appeared to only manage a mere 93Hz (aka 0.093KHz) at the maximum rate of 127. That said, the Korg Radias can only match a similar amount (100Hz, aka 0.1KHz).

I wonder how Access could avoid compromising classic Virus sounds if they ever decided to update the LFOs to allow them to run at a faster rate in new Virus releases. I mean, if they simply updated their LFOs to be able to run faster, both the compatibility and character of previous patches would be broken making them sound very different. It's almost like a straitjacket for them.

The only way I thought about pulling it off intuitively was if they could allow you to use two sets of ranges via a sub menu, so the 'classic' rate-range is always enabled and in use (from 0.01Hz to 93Hz or whatever it is), but you can change to a new, higher rate-range via a switch option in the menu (0.01Hz to 4KHz). That said, you're still restricted to 128 discrete values (regardless of interpolation), so the gaps between each step would be coarse given the range is much larger. You could type in a discrete value via Virus Control, but it wouldn't be MIDI friendly (i.e. achievable using the 128 midi steps available).

Or maybe you could choose from several ranges, such as 0.01-93Hz for classic mode, 90-500Hz for mid-range mode, and 0.5-4KHz for high-speed mode. Bit of a bummer if you want to sweep from 0.01Hz to 4KHz in one fell swoop though.

I wonder how DaveSmith implemented such a large range for MIDI purposes. His knobs might be high resolution, but MIDI isn't.

I digress! (Again)
Good to see discussion is still flowing here.

Timo is that 93 in herz or samples? What I mean is do count one LFO movement as cycle or two? Frequency should be only half of the LFO movements.

Either way I find the LFO works well for the faster stuff at the value of 122, do you know if there is a way to raise the speed less than one step? Kinda tempo dependend.

Access could just allow one of the oscillators to act as an LFO, that way there would be no issues with compatibility. And it could modulate as fast as you wanted. This is of course already possible if you want to modulate phase.

I must try your trick of using the LFO as a source for the filter decay, at that rate it should still be good for pluck sounds. It would be interesting to compare the virus to some other synths. If someone knows a really accurate audio analyzer/FFT for the job, that would be great. And one last thing, is there a way to delay the start of the filter decay by couple ms, like in some analog synths?