View Single Post
Old 14.02.2014, 09:18 PM
Veteran
Veteran

well, this feels a overpriced, certainly not analogue, don't know about upgrades, being digital might get an update or two... the mesmerizing thing about them, though, is that they're really as useful as D16's group plug-ins, in that it's some digital recreation of the classics and that's it, they haven't gone the extra mile to actually make this things talk to new audiences, with more features, most of which are mentioned on this videos...

the 303 clone is pretty much proof that they haven't learned from their previous MC 303 products and how people usually compare them to real 303, which is a synthesizer, albeit a fairly simple one, perhaps one of the worst sounding filters ever built, but contributed to "that" sound... seriously, I'd much rather get a XOXBox instead of this, 'cause I'd be getting an analogue filter whose circuit has been as close to the original as humanely possible. plus cv to use the sequencer on other machines, besides that very special sound that you either love or hate (I do like it)... the introduction of some glitchy stuff, and their attempt to introduce normal teebee sounds with the added distortion and fx thing could be cool, if they were real fx to use instead of "roompler" shit...

same thing with the 808/909... the only appeal it's got, besides being a piece of history is for some purists to get "that" sound synthesized that particular way that's had a tremendous influence on many many genres. if you're going digital with this, might as well get some sample packs, or even use Maschine' s drum synthesizers or other plug-ins or instruments, and the sound won't be to far off from these things... and the interface, workflow, even the new features feel... lame!

but when he turns the two together we get a sense of what this could be about: those sounds combined together is music history. shame the company that's done it doesn't live up to their own legacy, just a money trick, nothing to see here...