View Single Post
Old 10.10.2005, 02:24 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Here's my take on the Nord 2. HC can probably expand on this as he's had alot more hands on experience.

First of all, the Nord 2 has 'modern classic' status due to a number of factors. Since about 1997 they appeared along side Korg Tritons on countless videos and live performances. By far the most visually depicted synth of the past 10 years. So from a point of view of future collectibility....it'd be a good buy because you'll always find people who want to own a 'classic synth of the day'. Secondly, the Nord 2 sounds quite different to most other VA's in that it sounds bright, crisp and relatively cutting. Most virtual analogs and softsynths have a kind of muddiness to their tone (especially when making pad sounds)....the Nord 2 doesnt have this. Programability is straightforward albeit slightly illogical. Personally I prefer the filter section at the top...whereas on the Nord 2 its at the bottom. Despite this, there is no menue hoping (unless your setting up midi) and this makes it a breeze to get into.

Sound engine: As already mentioned, it has a unique-ish tone. From a programming perspective its slightly more advanced than a Prophet 5 and Jupiter 8 (old analog classics)....however, its not nearly as versatile as most current VA synths. Is this a problem? No, of course not. The Nord 2 can cover 95% of analog type sound creation fine. The real question is whether you think its a wise decision to add yet another VA to your arsenal....or whether a true analog would be better? Bang for buck then the Nord 2 wins....but if your wanting to add something different to your music...then id consider: Juno 60, Polysix, DW8000, JX10, M1, Wavestation, JD800 or perhaps a DX7MKIIFD

Its a tough one to call.....but from a musical perpesctive youd benefit more from have a wide variety as opposed to yet another instrument that does more or less the same thing...but in a different flavour.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....