View Single Post
Old 27.06.2006, 08:21 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to MADSTATION Send a message via MSN to MADSTATION

303: haha you were pretty close.

Yeah I guess I should have written the post in english

Just got carried away then realized it's much easier to discuss the terminology in english.

Here's a very messy translation:
While I'm no expert when it comes to dnb basses, I'm pretty sure our good friend Hollowcell(another member on here, very good especially when it comes to bass) might be able to help you. Actually here is a direct link to his homepage: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...m?bandID=87078
Have a listen to some of his virus samples, most of them are pretty bass heavy.

First off usually when I want a really loud and aggressive bass sound I first record the sequence to a .wav file. Then I believe it all comes down to layering and a bit of creativity.

Here's a vague example:

* layer 1 *
- low pass filter to get rid of the high end(since dnb mostly have bandpassed kick drums, its fair to assume that the bottom of the bass is located around 50-200hrz.
- Add a tiny bit of delay(only a few ms) to thicken out the timbre. Also if you can modulate the lenght of the delay it gives a nice effect(no more than 20ms or so)

* layer 2 *
-I go back to the original file and either lowpass+highpass or just bandpass with a small Q then rely heavily on distorsion.

* layer 3 *
- For this one I just use a high pass filter since I just want to keep the top freqs then I add a little bit of flanger/phaser in the higher freqs to give the sound a bit of movement but still stand firmly in the mix

----------
Also experiment with bitcrusher type effects. Regarding the sound sample you posted it seems that he used some portamento and it's really great the way this was done. He either used an lfo to trigger enveloppes or a midi gate with long attack+release.

I wish I could help better but since it's not my usual type of sound thats pretty much all I can say